Volunteering with Literacy NRV
The heart and soul of Literacy NRV is the dedicated cadre of volunteers who give their time, energy, and expertise to help adults and families throughout the region to develop the skills they need for independence.
There are many different ways to join in the fight for adult literacy! Find out more below on this page or call us at (540) 382-7262
The Path to Becoming a Literacy NRV Volunteer
1. All interested volunteers must first attend a 1-hour Volunteer Information Session. Check out our calendar and find an in-person or Zoom session that fits your schedule.
2. Following the Volunteer Information Session, you will be emailed a volunteer application and will sign a volunteer agreement.
3. Once your application is submitted, you will be emailed a more in-depth training module to work through at your own pace (additional training is provided and varies depending upon the volunteer opportunity that you're interested in).
4. When you've completed your online training, you'll book an appointment with our Tutor Coordinator to go over your skills, preferences, and readiness for tutoring.
5. You'll then be matched with your student, class, or other opportunity and be on the road to changing lives across the New River Valley!
Small Group Tutoring
Are you interested in helping another adult to improve their skills in reading, writing, basic math, ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages), or basic computer skills, or to prepare for exams such as the GED or U.S. Citizenship exam?
Volunteer tutors with Literacy NRV provide one-to-one or small group tutoring in public locations throughout the NRV.
Are you interested in working directly with adults to improve their skills but can't commit to a full year of tutoring?
Literacy NRV classroom instructors and assistants provide tutoring support during our 7-10 week long classes. The lead instructor manages lesson planning and classroom organization; assistants help with tracking attendance, greeting students, distributing resources, and tutoring students in breakout groups or individually during class.
Are you interested in joining our mission but not quite ready to jump into instruction with adults?
Several of our 7-10 week classes provide childcare for participating families. Children's activity volunteers commit to volunteering at a 2-hour class once a week for a period of 7-10 weeks (varies by class).
To get started, simply join us for a Volunteer Information Session and complete your application!
Learning Center and Event Volunteers
Are you interested in volunteering on a more flexible schedule or for a limited time? Have special skills or talents you'd like to share with us?
Literacy NRV learning center volunteers and event volunteers help us make the magic happen behind the scenes! We have opportunities for data entry, drop-in tutoring, resource management, and event preparation from time to time.
To get started, simply join us for a Volunteer Information Session, complete your application, and we'll take it from there!